What Is a Podcast?
As defined by the google dictionary, a podcast is a digital audio file made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or mobile device, typically available as a series, new installments of which can be received by subscribers automatically. The podcast I discuss below refers to a public relations podcast called PR Bants. I also go into deeper detail with the specific episode I listened to, PR Bants #18.
Personally, I thought this podcast was interesting due to the relevant and honest topics they discuss. I found it a little boring as the talking was soft but they kept the information on topic and to the point with a little bit of comical banter which I enjoyed.
This podcast episode (PR Bants #18) covers social media topics, specifically they discussed the following topics:
- Twitter’s renewed efforts to tackle online abuse
- #MeToo: The hashtag that triggered a global conversation about sexual harassment
- Is Facebook’s “digital safety ambassador” scheme a gimmick?
- Is the furore surrounding Dove’s “racist” body wash advert justified?
- Fashion brand Jigsaw tackles Brexit and immigration
- Theresa May’s party conference speech
I very much enjoyed this episode as I found all the information interesting and I enjoyed hearing the opinions of the speakers from a public relations view. There were no advertisement stops within the podcast listening but they played music from Jukedeck and they reference and advertise it. They advertised a little about the #MeToo campaign and I think this podcast could advertise more social media campaigns as it directly relates to most of their topics.
Overall, I enjoyed listening to this podcast and I was interested in the topics they discussed. I liked learning about different things happen on social media and hearing the public relations side of the stories. It was interesting to hear stories from a public relations point of view and I thought the insight from this podcast was useful. I recommend listening to this podcast to anyone who enjoys social media and being up to date on hot topics, especially if you’re looking for a public relations point of view!
More from PR Bants
Other episode from PR Bants include topics about the following:
- Windrush and the government’s handling of a ‘national disgrace’
- Starbucks’ nationwide effort to educate its workforce about racial bias
- JD Wetherspoon go back to basics and shuts its social media accounts
- Maya Jama and why celebrities should care about their social media footprint
- predictions about what is in store for the communications industry in 2018
- How Lyft capitalised on the public backlash against Uber
- United Airlines’ reputation management
- Uber and Starbucks’ campaign to encourage young people to vote
- How Love Island fever swept the nation
- Why #AskEddie was such a hit for Southern Rail
- The thorny issue of the BBC Gender Pay Gap
Listen to PR Bants
If you would like to listen to PR Bants you can visit this website: PR Bants Link
If you would like to listen to the PR Bants #18 episode that I reviewed you can visit this link: PR Bants Episode #18 Link
HuNov, Jane C., et al. “Scientists Ride the Podcasting Wave.” Science | AAAS, 9 Dec. 2017, http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2016/11/scientists-ride-podcasting-wave.
Ted. “9 TED Talks for Podcast Lovers.” TED Talks, http://www.ted.com/playlists/399/talks_for_podcast_lovers.